HSP: Seeing the Paranormal in Everyday
Highly Sensitive Person and the Paranormal
My recent article on Astral Projection and Dark Presence as well as the experience itself, has had my thinking of my HSP-ness with more depth recently.
HSP: HSP is an acronym for “Highly Sensitive Person.” In addition to being Sensitive to noise, tastes, smells, sounds, and even feelings, pain, or medicine, the HSP has a special light. Some people believe – as I do, after extensive interviews, research and a general watching and identification with others – that HSP’s are very “special” people…
The HSP in the Day to Day
The major problems with being HSP can be, perhaps, obvious. Ordinary noise can be extra-sensory overload. Needing more quiet time than most other people could have social implications. Thinking and feeling more deeply than the other 88% of the population may have them wanting to commit you to your closest psych institution. Much fondness and identification for and with animals causes extensive heartbreak at their loss. Disillusionment with society at large, based in others’ misperceptions of us could prohibit our “good work.” Feeling always somehow different as we watch the other so-called *normal* people function with relative ease…Where their left foot right foot day to day leaves us maybe in bewildered states of awe. “How do they do that?”
Well, now for the next phase of discovering our HSP-ness. Once we understand or can identify this as what we are, particularly with others like us, our social need is fulfilled. Our need for social understanding among our peers begins to take hold. Remember Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs? Okay so then we move into esteem/ego area. We’re now feeling more okay with ourselves. Finally, at long last we are understood and accepted…We seem to now have a bedrock of grounding that propels us into “independence.” We are now secure enough to move into the “I am.”
Now what does our HSP really mean? We’re done with needing “to fit in” because we do. We’re done with “learning how to cope” because we have the benefit and experience of our peers to help us. We no longer feel the need to be isolated with the “who we really are” and so now where are we? Who are we? What is our potential as human beings?
I believe HSP’s are “Light-Workers,” “Indigo,” “Gifted,” “Chosen,” “Psychic,” “Intuitive,” “Empathic,” “Enlightened,” “Called”… I believe that a culmination of terms could be used to describe the true gifts or qualities of the HSP.
The Highly Sensitive Person and the Paranormal or Supernatural
If you think you may be HSP here are some qualities of myself and my friends that I have compiled. Ask yourself if you have ever had experience with any of the following:
- Dreams. Vivid dreams. Astral projection. Lucid dreaming. Prophetic Dreams. Highly symbolic. And of course you dream in color! (When the scientists said that people dreamed in black and white you knew this to be untrue for you and were baffled.)
- Paranormal sight. Seeing things that could be described as paranormal. Have you ever seriously “seen a ghost” or “energy” or “aura?” Have you seen things move with no provocation? (Do you cringe when you hear people talk smarmily about “ghost sightings?” Do you hardly ever relay your own experiences?)
- Paranormal auditory. [Clairaudience] Have you heard things that could not be explained? For example, laughter in the other room when no one was in there. The jingle of a cat collar behind you in the kitchen but you have no cats. [Yet you suspect it was your cat who passed away.] Your dad calling your name from downstairs but he wasn’t home.
- Paranormal feeling. [Clairsentience] Have you ever met someone and known right then the condition of their spirit, mood, or life? Have you known a person’s ulterior motive yet their mouth was speaking differently than you were feeling? Contrary to maybe a group of people’s idea, did you know the idea to be different than what was being sold? Were any of your feelings later validated? [Yet you refused to say "I knew it!"]
- Thought reading. [Telepathy.] Particularly saying something that someone would confess “I was just thinking that.” [I think everyone has. Among HSP's we tend to exchange energy more freely with each other and perhaps occurs more frequently.]
- Influence. [Telekinesis] Have you ever for example had your television go out and then with a “Oh stop” it came back? Have you ever (probably inadvertantly) thought-suggested something and then your friend brings it up? (With my dog it was a game. I’d think, “Want to go outside?” And there she was. Head perked and tail wagging.)
- Visions. Past, future or unexplained? Maybe you’ve had a dream, or a dream series that would later present itself. [Article of my biggest life-changing dream series.] When I say “past” I mean to say that once – in twilight sleep, a hypnogogic state – I had a vision of me and my beloved in Egypt. We were Egyptians and we were saying goodbye to each other. Just a thought? A vision? Don’t know.
- Seeker. Seeker/Fighter. Always searching for the higher spiritual calling. Have you understood, since you’ve been a small child that there was a special connection between you and the Divine? Have you particularly rebelled at this for whatever reason? Have you allowed alcohol, drugs, or other human distractions to numb you from this calling?
- Coincidence. [Synchronicity] Have you been prone to noticing the ease with which certain things occur for you? Can you notice when the Divine has you on a certain path or mission? Do these coincidences seemingly happen to you more so than other people to the extent that you don’t bother explaining when a casual friend is in awe that something you absolutely needed to happen happened?
- Empathic. Giving and Receiving Energy, Spirit, or Emotions. Do animals, children and certain people seem drawn to you? Are there people you know who have physically made you sick or very tired? Have you often felt so open that anxiety attacks seemed only seconds away? Do certain situations seem to be okay with other people, yet you’re feeling like “What the…?” Have you been depressed for no apparent reason to discover a loved one was in pain? Do you have friends “on your radar?”
Highly Sensitive Person Quiz
I made a 5 part HSP Quiz that addresses the day to day of High Sensitivity – as well as the Highly Sensitive Person and the Paranormal. As you will see in the quiz, it’s possible to be HSP and not experience paranormal or supernatural phenomenon in your life. BUT, as these pages will confirm, the high incidence of paranormal or supernatural experiences by HSP’s is no small coincidence.
- HSP’s Prone to Paranormal – A lot of the same information from this page.
- Environmental Sensitivity: A Neurobiological Phenomenon? – A Study by Michael Jawer; “…these “sensitive” individuals report a high degree of anomalous perception.”
- Sensitivity & Possible Link to Apparitional Experiences – “…certain persons may be more apt to register anomalous influences than others.”
Watching The Celestine Prophecy two nights ago – which was based on the like-named book – brought this all together for me as yet another validation that there is a higher calling for the HSP gifted. I could not believe that my life was there in that movie…my beliefs, my seeking, my philosophy on spirituality. It propelled me to add books for the HSP-inclined to the “Samsara bookstore” over and beyond the discovery phase of “dealing with being Highly Sensitive.”
Being a Highly Sensitive Person, I believe, is a gift. Once I overcame the distinction of feeling unusual and odd, I was able to embrace the gifts of the being.